Saturday 19 March 2011

Dear unknown friend...

The search for truth takes us in many unexpected directions. In my case, growing up I never expected to become a Roman Catholic. On these pages I intend to continue searching, with anyone who wants to accompany me, for the meaning of Christian teachings, and their relation to the truths revealed and proposed in other religious traditions. Some of these posts reflect the content of my books on mystagogy and spiritual theology. The first was called The Seven Sacraments: Entering the Mysteries of God (listed here, along with links to reviews and additional material, written later, that may be helpful to readers). The second book is published by Angelico Press and Sophia Perennis under the title All Things Made New. The third, from Angelico Press, is The Radiance of Being (2013). A complete list of my books can be found here.

I hope that these web pages will be helpful to readers of these books and others interested in going more deeply into the Christian experience. Please make it known to your friends and visit regularly if you find it helpful. All rights are reserved. You may also be interested in my other blogs: Beauty in Education (originally based around the book Beauty for Truth's Sake and its sequel Beauty in the Word) and The Economy Project (a legacy of my time at Plater College and associated with a website devoted to Catholic Social Teaching).

Stratford Caldecott
Oxford

The image on the blog header is a detail from the ceiling above the Shrine of Our Lady of Oxford, at the Oratory, photographed by Revd James Bradley and used with kind permission. The following verse is from "Jesu, joy of man's desiring", and seems appropriate for the image. Our Lady of Oxford, pray for us...

Through the way where hope is guiding,
Hear what peaceful music rings;
Where the flocks in you confiding
Drink of joy from endless springs!
Theirs is beauty's fairest pleasure;
Theirs is wisdom's holiest treasure;
You do ever lead your own,
In the love of joys unknown.

3 comments:

  1. I read All Things Made New in two sessions, and I will read it again and the book have given me many new "gifts for contemplation" I was drawn to the "Dear Unknown Friend" which reminded me of my copy of Meditations on the Tarot (Tomberg) I was stopped dead in my tracks on page 84 , and wanted to know if the author was for or against the so called new world order or supreme world leader ! however I continued to read the book from the point of view that it has been written by a supreme analyst of the Book of Revelations - there can be no doubt that Stratford Caldecott has succeeded in writing a truly wonderful book on this subject, I will treasure it as a incredible source of knowledge that gives a clear guide to the understanding to the complex symbolism, cosmology and meaning of Book of Revelation. Many Thanks
    Ian Timothy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear friend, I have not idea how to get in touch with you, but I would love to share a book with you that personally I think you will love. How can I send you the pdf?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strat, I was so sorry to hear of your struggles with cancer. You probably will not remember my husband Peter and me after so many years - we knew you back in your days in Cambridge, MA. We still have some bath toys Leonie gave us when you were moving (now they're waiting for grandchildren). May God bless you and your family through this time. You will be in our prayers.
    I can't figure out how to use just my name (I'm not very tech-y), so I'm entering as "anonymous."
    God be with you and your family.
    Regards,
    Karin Morin

    ReplyDelete